After weighing his options as his undergraduate time was coming to an end God Shammgod has opted to continue his education at Providence College by enrolling in graduate school. That also allows him to stay on the Friar coaching staff and continue his work with Kris Dunn and the rest of the Friar guards. The news was first reported by John Rooke in his weekly “Thinking Out Loud” column on WEEI.com.
- ICYMI – 2015 Nike EYBL Session 4 Providence Recruiting Guide
- ICYMI – Providence “In the Mix” for Eastern Illinois Grad Transfer Chris Olivier
- FriarBasketball.com – Craig Leighton – A Closer Look: Jordy Tshimanga
- WEEI.com – John Rooke – Thinking Out Loud: Providence basketball loses key piece at bad time
- Providence Journal – Kevin McNamara – Cotton making most of NBA opportunity with Utah
- BigEast.com – BIG EAST Digital Network Expands To Broadcast 225 Games In 2015-16
Providence is searching hard for frontcourt help and one player that could provide that much-needed assistance is Eastern Illinois graduate transfer Chris Olivier. Olivier visited Oklahoma State on May 19th and has yet to schedule any other visits though Jon Rothstein and Jeff Borzello both reported on Twitter that Olivier is planning on visiting Providence. The current recruiting period is a dead period that lasts until May 29th. Any visit to meet the coaching staff would have to be scheduled for after that.
Nike EYBL finishes pool play this weekend in Minneapolis. This is the 4th and final session of the regular season before the playoffs begin at the Peach Jam which is held in North Augusta, SC from July 15th to the 19th. 24 teams will advance to the Peach Jam after this weekend in Minneapolis and some of the teams led by Providence recruits are in good position to do so. This is the second straight session of EYBL where coaches are not allowed to attend as the event takes place during a dead period that runs from May 21st through May 29th.
Here are the Providence targets in Minneapolis this weekend and when they will be playing. The 16U teams are in Atlanta this weekend. You’ll notice the record next to each team and that is the record entering play this weekend. The number next to each player’s name is in case that team plays on one of the live-streamed courts. You can watch the live streams at this link.
- ICYMI – 2015 Under Armour Association Session 3 Providence Recruiting Guide
- Cox Hub – Corey O’Leary, Adam Finkelstein & Chris DiSano – Rhode Island Hoops Podcast
- Deseret News – Mike Sorensen – Point guard was weak spot in ’14-’15, but Jazz see bright future with young players
- Friars.com – Three Friar Programs Earn NCAA APR Public Recognition Awards