Alex Owens will not be a Providence Friar. Owens failed to achieve a qualifying ACT score and will attend Tallahassee Community College this year. Owens had an academic red flag when he wasn’t qualified to play basketball as a freshman in high school but the Providence coaching staff remained optimistic Owens could get the score he needed. Bob Simon was the lead recruiter on Owens prior to leaving Providence for Alabama.
- ICYMI – Providence Recruiting Update: Time to Turn Attention to 2016
- ICYMI – Recruiting News: New England Recruiting Report Releases Updated Class 2017 Rankings
- FriarBasketball.com – Craig Leighton – The Week that was in Friartown
- ESPN.com – Jeff Goodman – Transfer season’s winners and losers
- FriarBasketball.com – Kevin Farrahar – Influx of Talent at Marquette
New England Recruiting Report is a fantastic resource that covers New England basketball. With so much talent in the New England region in the class of 2017 the Friar coaching staff figures to spend a lot of time traveling to and from the various prep schools. The NERR Top 25 in the class of 2017 unsurprisingly reads like a Providence recruiting list as there are a lot of Friar targets that are in the top 25, including early commitment Javon Taylor.
Here are the Providence recruits in the NERR top 25 for the class of 2017:
With NC State forward transfer Kyle Washington committing to Mick Cronin and the Cincinnati Bearcats on Wednesday its time for the Friar staff to turn their attention to the class of 2016 and beyond. The likelihood that there is still a player available that could contribute next season is almost nonexistent. The only scenario out there right now is probably a darkhorse international player but that is in the “massive longshot” category.
The first July live evaluation period is rapidly approaching and the Providence staff needs to be focused on players from the class of 2016 with an eye towards players in 2017. Some Big East compatriots have already gotten off to good starts in 2016 with Butler landing a pair of 4 star recruits in Joey Brunk and Howard Washington, Villanova picking up consensus top 20 recruit Omari Spellman and Xavier dipping into the New England Prep ranks to grab top 125 forward Tyrique Jones.
- NC State transfer Kyle Washington is going to announce his decision today, per Dan Stack of TodaysU.com. He has visited Marquette, Cincinnati and most recently Providence.
- Providence had 2016 Worcester Academy and BABC big man Kevin Marfo on campus over the weekend, according to a tweet by Worcester Academy coach Jamie Sullivan.
- FriarBasketball.com – Craig Leighton – Here and There in Friartown
- CoachGeorgeRaveling.com – Frank Burlison – 2015 Nike Basketball Academy Recap
- Friars.com – Providence College Men’s Athletics Ranks 13th In Final Capital One Cup Standings