Ed Cooley has been very proud of his involvement in USA Basketball. Cooley, who can routinely be seen wearing a USA Basketball when not in Providence Friars gear, was an assistant coach under Sean Miller on the 2015 USA U19 World Championship and under Billy Donovan on the 2014 USA U18 Championship teams. Both teams went on to win gold medals those years. He was also a court coach during the U19 team training camp in the summer of 2013. USA Basketball announced on Tuesday that Cooley was appointed to the USA Basketball Men’s Junior National Team Committee for a term of 2017-2020.
Where: Titan Gym – Fullerton, CA
When: 11:30 EST
USA Basketball has become a big part of Providence’s basketball program because head coach Ed Cooley has taken on growing responsibilities with the organization over the last few years. In the summer of 2013 Cooley was a court coach during training camp in Colorado Springs. In 2014 Cooley was named as an assistant coach on Billy Donovan’s staff for the U18 USA National Team that participated and won gold at the 2014 FIBA Americas U18 Championship. After Donovan took the head coaching job with the Oklahoma City Thunder Cooley’s fellow assistant on Donovan’s U18 staff Sean Miller was promoted to head coach of the U19 team and Cooley remained as Miller’s assistant for the 2015 FIBA U19 World Championship. That squad also brought home the gold from Crete, Greece.
Providence has released their non-conference schedule for the 2015-16 season. The Friars should have another very strong strength of schedule in the non-conference with road games at Rhode Island and Massachusetts, home games against Harvard and Illinois and a potential neutral site matchup against Arizona in the Wooden Legacy tournament. Here’s a brief description of each of the games on Providence’s non=conference slate this upcoming season.
- ICYMI – Tyler Harris Transferring to Auburn for Final Season
- Providence Journal – Kevin McNamara – Ed Cooley to coach USA Under-19 team in Greece alongside Miller brothers
- FriarBasketball.com – Craig Leighton – Tyler Harris to Auburn
- WEEI.com – John Rooke – Thinking Out Loud: Tom Brady didn’t cheat
- NCAA.org – Greg Johnson – Men’s basketball rules committee recommends package of proposals to improve game
- ICYMI – Providence Recruiting Update 5/14/15
- Fairfield Citizen – Chris Elsberry – Future bright for Chukwu
- TodaysU.com – Dan Stack – Kyle Washington Talks Transfer List
- CBSSports.com – Gary Parrish – Sean Miller to replace Billy Donovan as men’s U19 USA Basketball coach
- Providence Journal – Bill Reynolds – Old school? Lou Lamoriello practically invented it
- ICYMI – Previewing the 2015 Providence Jam Fest
- ICYMI – Report: Sean Miller To Take Reigns of U19 USA National Team, Ed Cooley to Stay on Staff
- ESPN.com – Dana O’Neil – Graduate transfer problem needs to be fixed now
- KSL.com – Andy Slater – Emboldened by Cotton’s success, Jazz pre-draft workouts come early