Ed Cooley has been very proud of his involvement in USA Basketball. Cooley, who can routinely be seen wearing a USA Basketball when not in Providence Friars gear, was an assistant coach under Sean Miller on the 2015 USA U19 World Championship and under Billy Donovan on the 2014 USA U18 Championship teams. Both teams went on to win gold medals those years. He was also a court coach during the U19 team training camp in the summer of 2013. USA Basketball announced on Tuesday that Cooley was appointed to the USA Basketball Men’s Junior National Team Committee for a term of 2017-2020.
Kris Dunn was one of 25 players announced on Tuesday that will be members of the 2016 USA Basketball Select Team. The Select Team trains with and against the USA Basketball National Team as the National Team prepares for the Rio Olympics in August. Dunn is joined by fellow college players Malcolm Brogdon (Virginia), Brandon Ingram (Duke), Brice Johnson (North Carolina) and Denzel Valentine (Michigan State). The other 20 players are already in the NBA.
- 2016 PF Kevin Marfo of Worcester Academy and BABC cut his list to a final 5 last night and Providence was among the finalist. The other 4 schools on the list are Boston College, DePaul, George Washington and Rhode Island.
- ICYMI – Several Providence Recruits Among 57 Invited to USA Basketball Junior National Team Minicamp
- CBSSports.com – Sam Vecenie – 2016 NBA Draft Preseason Big Board: Labissiere, Simmons lead way
- Salt Lake Tribune – Aaron Falk, Tony Jones and Steve Luhm – Utah Jazz content to let point guards battle after Exum injury
USA Basketball has become a big part of Providence’s basketball program because head coach Ed Cooley has taken on growing responsibilities with the organization over the last few years. In the summer of 2013 Cooley was a court coach during training camp in Colorado Springs. In 2014 Cooley was named as an assistant coach on Billy Donovan’s staff for the U18 USA National Team that participated and won gold at the 2014 FIBA Americas U18 Championship. After Donovan took the head coaching job with the Oklahoma City Thunder Cooley’s fellow assistant on Donovan’s U18 staff Sean Miller was promoted to head coach of the U19 team and Cooley remained as Miller’s assistant for the 2015 FIBA U19 World Championship. That squad also brought home the gold from Crete, Greece.
- Cox Hub – USA Basketball A Learning Experience for Cooley
- ScoutFriars.com – Richard Coren – July Recruiting Observations ($)
- Sporting News – Mike DeCourcy – Illinois devastated by second season-ending injury for point guard Tracy Abrams
- Friars.com – College Sets All-Time Ticket Sales Revenue Mark
- ICYMI – Tyler Harris Transferring to Auburn for Final Season
- Providence Journal – Kevin McNamara – Ed Cooley to coach USA Under-19 team in Greece alongside Miller brothers
- FriarBasketball.com – Craig Leighton – Tyler Harris to Auburn
- WEEI.com – John Rooke – Thinking Out Loud: Tom Brady didn’t cheat
- NCAA.org – Greg Johnson – Men’s basketball rules committee recommends package of proposals to improve game
- ICYMI – Providence Recruiting Update 5/14/15
- Fairfield Citizen – Chris Elsberry – Future bright for Chukwu
- TodaysU.com – Dan Stack – Kyle Washington Talks Transfer List
- CBSSports.com – Gary Parrish – Sean Miller to replace Billy Donovan as men’s U19 USA Basketball coach
- Providence Journal – Bill Reynolds – Old school? Lou Lamoriello practically invented it