The Big East conference is holding their annual offseason meetings in Ponte Vedra, FL this week. The meetings will be lead by Big East commissioner Val Ackerman and will include “planning sessions with the ten-member school’s athletic directors, senior woman administrators, and men’s and women’s basketball head coaches,” according to a release sent out by the league. The meetings began on Monday and the agenda items include:
Where: Dunkin’ Donuts Center – Providence, RI
When: 7:00pm EST
Fox Sports released the announcer pairings for the 2016 Big East Tournament on Thursday. As was the case last season, Gus Johnson and Bill Raftery will handle the Wednesday and Thursday night games. Raftery will then head off to the Big Ten Tournament and Jim Jackson will replace him with Johnson for the semifinals on Friday night and the finals on Saturday. Justin Kutcher and Jackson will call the Thursday afternoon games. The finals are being played at 5:30pm ET this season and will be on FOX. All other games will air on Fox Sports 1. Molly McGrath will also be roaming the sidelines for each game. Rob Stone, Steve Lavin and Donny Marshall will be in attendance at MSG for pre-game, halftime and post-game analysis.
Here are the announcer pairings for all 9 Big East Tournament games:
- ICYMI – 2016 Putnam Science Academy PF Sedee Keita Down to Six
- SI.com – David Gardner & Chris Johnson – 64 reasons to be excited for the 2015-16 college hoops season (Nos. 16-1)
- Friars.com – Men’s Hockey Tabbed Third In Hockey East Preseason Coaches Poll
- Mark Divver of the Providence Journal reported on Twitter that Providence Athletic Director has been talking with Providence hockey coach Nate Leaman about a “lifetime” extension.
- Fox Sports Adds Steve Lavin to College Hoops Lineup
- Kenpom.com – Ken Pomeroy – Offense vs. Defense: 2-point percentage
- The list of 2015 College Basketball Free Agents (immediately eligible transfers) continues to grow. Check out my list here.
- DraftExpress.com – Jonathan Givony – Kris Dunn NBA Draft Scouting Report and Video Breakdown
- Cox Hub – New England Recruiting Report – Should Kris Dunn Go Pro?
- WEEI.com – John Rooke – Thinking Out Loud: Providence Not Tough Enough for NCAA Tournament Success
- Zagsblog.com – Adam Zagoria – St. John’s Parts Ways With Steve Lavin
- Herald Argus – Aaron McKrell – Blazers prepare for title game with quiet practice
Providence finished the regular season in 4th place and finished the last 10 games of the season 5-5. St. John’s finished the regular season in 5th place and finished 8-2 in their last 10 games of the season. Providence and St. John’s were then scheduled to meet in the Quarterfinals of the Big East Tournament. If this sounds familiar, its because that’s what happened last season.
Where: Madison Square Garden – New York, NY
How: Fox Sports 1 (Justin Kutcher and Tarik Turner) /WEEI 103.7 FM (John Rooke and Joe Hassett)
- The Friars and Red Storm have met 5 times all time in the Big East Tournament. PC has a 3-2 edge in the series but the two teams haven’t met in the Big East Tournament since March 6, 1996. The only other time they met in the 4 vs. 5 game, 4 seed PC took down the 5th seeded Redmen, 80-51, on March 5, 1987. I think 1987 was a pretty good year for PC.
- Bryce Cotton leads the nation in minutes per game with 40.1. He is averaging a mind boggling 41.9 mpg in Big East contests. Cotton played a total of 754 minutes in the 18 league games this season which gives him 2,385 career Big East minutes played. That number is good for 5th all time in Big East history and 2nd all time for the Friars in the Big East behind Vincent Council’s 2,498 Big East minutes played which is good for 2nd all time in Big East history. Despite the Friars double digit defeat in Omaha on Saturday, Cotton was able to rack up a few more PC all-time records. Saturday’s game was his 126th career game as a Providence Friar. That passes Dickey Simpkins and his 125 career games for most games played all time at PC. He is now the sole owner of the single season minutes played record, passing Billy Donovan and his 1,234 career minutes played in his senior season. Additionally Cotton now owns the record for minutes played in a career, passing Donnie McGrath and his 4,128 minutes played. On the season, Cotton is 9th in the nation in points per game at 21.7, 11th in the nation in total points scored at 674, 21st in the nation in assists per game at 5.9 and 8th in the nation in Free Throws made at 198. Cotton remains in 5th place all time on the PC scoring list with 1,886 career points in a Friar uniform. He surpassed the great Marvin Barnes for 5th all time by hitting a pair of free throws early against Marquette last week.
- Bryce Cotton is 2nd in the Big East in scoring (21.7 ppg) and D’Angelo Harrison is 3rd (17.6 ppg).
- Bryce Cotton is 1st in the Big East in assists (5.9 apg) and Rysheed Jordan is 12th (3.1 apg).
- Kadeem Batts is 3rd (7.7 rpg) and LaDontae Henton is 5th (7.3 rpg) in the Big East in rebounds while Jakarr Sampson is 8th (6.1 rpg).
- Line opened at PC +5.5