Early September is here and aside from recruiting news, of which Providence has had quite a bit lately, the biggest announcements are league schedules and future November tournaments. The Big East schedule was supposed to come out this week, but that apparently will not happen with the news that it will be bumped until next week. But Jon Rothstein swooped in to provide Providence fans a glimpse at the 2018 schedule by reporting that the Friars, along with Michigan, South Carolina and George Washington, will play in the 2018 Hall of Fame Classic at Mohegan Sun next November.
Here are some Providence news and notes from the week.
LaDontae Henton to Sign with LA Clippers
Friar legend LaDontae Henton will sign a training camp contract with the Los Angeles Clippers, per Chris Reichert of 2Ways10Days.com.
The Los Angeles Clippers are signing LaDontae Henton to a training camp deal with an Exhibit 10 clause, per a league source
— Chris Reichert (@Chris_Reichert) August 24, 2017
The latest episode of the Providence College podcast features Ed Cooley. Host Matt Chittim and Cooley discuss the importance of having a supportive administration, how he and his staff target recruits and Cooley gives his opinion on hardest worker, best athlete, most improved, best defender, best shooter and who would win in a 1 on 1 game of walk-ons.
Follow me on Twitter @pcbb1917
Corey Evans of Rivals.com tweeted on Monday evening that Providence is expected to host 2017 East English Village (Detroit) guard Greg Elliott this upcoming weekend for an official visit. This news comes a week after an interview with Elliott at Landof10.com in which Elliott indicated Providence would be getting one of his three remaining official visits. Evans also reported that Elliott will visit Marquette the following weekend, which is the final weekend of the Big East regular season with all ten schools in action on that Saturday.
Jon Rothstein is reporting that God Shammgod is leaving Providence to join the Dallas Mavericks of the NBA in the role of assistant of player development. Shammgod has been a mentor and trainer for several prominent recent Friars, including Bryce Cotton, LaDontae Henton, Ben Bentil and Kris Dunn.
- ICYMI – 2016 Wing Jalen Johnson Enjoys Visit to Providence, Still Planning to Sign in November
- CBSSports.com – Jon Rothstein – Observations: Kentucky’s Marcus Lee is ready for major jump as junior
- ScoutFriars.com – Richard Coren – Providence College’s quest for a point guard
- NCAA.com – Joe Boozell – College basketball: Seven burning questions for the upcoming season
- TodaysU.com – Dan Stack – How Does Providence Replace LaDontae Henton and Other Contributors?
- BigEastCoastBias.com – Sean Saint Jacques – Top 5 Games: Providence Friars
- SI.com – David Gardner & Chris Johnson – 64 reasons to be excited for the 2015-16 college basketball season
- Eurobasket.com – Koroivos add Council to their roster
- ICYMI – Providence Makes Top 10 for 2016 PF Kevin Marfo
- FriarBasketball.com – Craig Leighton – Here and There in Friartown
- NH Union Leader – Zach Ward – The Sensation: Seemingly overnight, Gabriel became coveted
- FriarBasketball.com – Kevin Farrahar – Video Look Back: Henton’s Senior Year