Providence junior Rodney Bullock put his name into the NBA Draft to test the waters at the end of March. On Monday, Jon Rothstein reported that Bullock will return to Providence for his senior season. Bullock became the first Providence player who took advantage of the new rule allowing players to declare for the NBA Draft without an agent and then return to school. Ben Bentil declared for the 2016 draft without an agent but eventually opted to sign with one and keep his name in past the deadline to return. Bentil was drafted 51st overall in 2016 by the Boston Celtics.
Jon Rothsein is reporting that the Providence Friars are heading back to the Mohegan Sun Arena in nearby Uncasville, CT for a neutral site matchup against the Houston Cougars on December 20th. Providence last played at Mohegan Sun in the 2014-15 season as part of the Hall of Fame Tipoff. The Friars defeated Florida State and Notre Dame to take home the trophy. This game, which Rothstein reported is likely to be part of a double-header, will just be a neutral site game and not part of a tournament. The Friars are playing in the 2017 2K Classic in November. It’s unclear if the deal will include a game or games at Providence and/or Houston.
- ICYMI – Television Listings for Providence vs (21) Rhode Island 12/3/2016
- ICYMI – Game Notes & Preview: Providence (5-2, 0-0) vs (21) Rhode Island (5-2, 0-0) 12/3/16
- ICYMI – Opening Line: Providence vs (21) Rhode Island Pick ‘Em 12/3/16
- ICYMI – Annual Zero Gravity Prep Classic Gets Underway at St. Andrew’s on Friday
- FanRagSports.com – Jon Rothstein – Rothstein Files: What do we know about UCLA?
- TheComeback.com – Michael Grant – The Big East Might Be The Best Conference In College Basketball
Happy Veterans Day! Take some time today to remember the spirit of this holiday which began as a way to honor veterans who died during World War I. Today we honor all of those men and women for their service in the United States Armed Forces.
- TodaysU.com – Dan Stack – Big East breakout star to watch: Providence guard Kyron Cartwright
- FanRagSports.com – Jon Rothstein – 68 things to look forward to during the 2016-17 college basketball season
- HoopSeen.com – Corey Evans – National Signing Day 2017: Big East
- The Cowl – Jake Scearbo & Lauren Altmeyer – PCI: Who will be the men’s basketball MVP this season?
- The Cowl – Liza Sisk – Cross Country Eyes NCAA Championship
- Woonsocket Call – Brendan McGair – Friars making sure Kris Dunn knows that alma mater will always be home
- CBSSports.com – Matt Norlander – Big East expert picks, what you need to know: Villanova leads rising conference
- TodaysU.com – Jon Rothstein – 15 impact JUCO transfers for the 2016-17 college basketball season
- The Cowl – Sam Scanlon – Men’s Basketball: Time for a New Era
- Friars.com – Head Coach Ed Cooley’s Radio Show To Air Live From Davinci’s on Thursday, November 10
- NewEnglandSoccerNews.com – STORMING TO TITLE: Providence Friar men Big East champions
- ICYMI – Providence Continues to Make Late Night Madness a Big-time Event in Friartown
- ICYMI – Ed Cooley One of Five New Appointees to NABC Board of Directors
- Bleacher Report – Kerry Miller – College Basketball Players Tasked with Replacing Last Year’s Biggest Stars
- Providence Mini Plans are now on sale for the 2016-17 basketball season. Click here to see the various plans.
- FairfieldStags.com – Johnson, Cooley, Rothstein Comprise College Basketball All-Access Panel
- Friars.com – Cross Country Moves Up In National Poll, Women Ranked 2nd
The Labor Day Weekend is a time for people to hit the beach or lake or [insert other fun summer activity here] one last time before saying goodbye to summer and hello to the school year. The students are back on campus in Friartown after a weekend that is meant to be relaxing and slow-paced, but there was plenty of Providence hoops news that broke over the last few days before the start of classes.