The first live recruiting period of April begins on Friday and the Providence coaching staff is gearing up for the beginning of the offseason recruiting grind by doing an in-home visit with Top-100 2018 guard Noah Locke on Thursday afternoon, a source told pcbb1917.com. Locke was ranked 95th in the class of 2018 in the latest Rivals.com rankings update out on Tuesday. He will run with Team Melo on the Nike EYBL grassroots circuit. The Friars have made it clear to Locke that he is a priority recruit for them in the class of 2018 and this in-home visit right before the beginning of the first live period cements that.
Corey Evans of Rivals.com tweeted on Monday evening that Providence is expected to host 2017 East English Village (Detroit) guard Greg Elliott this upcoming weekend for an official visit. This news comes a week after an interview with Elliott at Landof10.com in which Elliott indicated Providence would be getting one of his three remaining official visits. Evans also reported that Elliott will visit Marquette the following weekend, which is the final weekend of the Big East regular season with all ten schools in action on that Saturday.
- Listen to the last episode of The Ed Cooley Radio Show that aired Thursday night. Thanks to FriarTV
- Rivals.com – Corey Evans – Class of 2018 four-star Swider hitting his stride
- WestwoodOneSports.com – John Rooke & Kevin McNamara – This Week in the Big East: Villanova’s Jay Wright, Providence guard Kyron Cartwright and more
- WEEI.com – John Rooke – Thinking Out Lod: Thoughts on Super Bowl LI
- TheWest.au – Craig O’Donoghue – Cotton in control for Wildcats
Happy Veterans Day! Take some time today to remember the spirit of this holiday which began as a way to honor veterans who died during World War I. Today we honor all of those men and women for their service in the United States Armed Forces.
- TodaysU.com – Dan Stack – Big East breakout star to watch: Providence guard Kyron Cartwright
- FanRagSports.com – Jon Rothstein – 68 things to look forward to during the 2016-17 college basketball season
- HoopSeen.com – Corey Evans – National Signing Day 2017: Big East
- The Cowl – Jake Scearbo & Lauren Altmeyer – PCI: Who will be the men’s basketball MVP this season?
- The Cowl – Liza Sisk – Cross Country Eyes NCAA Championship
- ICYMI – Thoughts from the Road: Friars Outplayed at Xavier
- ICYMI – Big Mystery: Cheickna Dembele No Longer Unknown
- Ed Cooley and an assistant coach hit the recruiting trail on Thursday as they saw 2017 Nate Watson. Providence offered Watson in early February.
- SLAMonline.com – Harrison Malkin – Ed Cooley’s Special Bond With A Young Man
- ScoutFriars.com – Richard Coren – Xavier cruises past the Friars
- Cincinnati.com – Shannon Russell – Xavier’s Davis said he could rebound, and he did
- BigEastCoastBias.com – Phil Neuffer & Sean Saint Jacques – BECB One-on-One Tournament: The Opening Salvo
Providence has been desperately chasing big men recruits since Paschal Chukwu transferred to Syracuse in May 2015 and Alex Owens failed to qualify that later summer. Ben Bentil has been forced to slide over the the center spot this season with little behind him in the way of backup. Bentil has obviously had a tremendous sophomore campaign, but he has had struggles on the defensive side of the floor at times and Providence has been vulnerable to teams that attack the rim. Those teams are met with little to no resistance en route to a layup and that’s a big problem for Ed Cooley. The search for a big man in the class of 2016 has taken Providence all over the country and, lately, even into Canada. The latest name to surface is a new name to just about everyone in the basketball recruiting world: Cheickna Dembele.
- ICYMI – Game Notes & Preview: (23) Providence (19-7, 7-6) at (8) Xavier (22-3, 10-3) 2/17/16
- ICYMI – Opening Line: (23) Providence +9.5 at (8) Xavier 2/17/16
- Providence Journal – Jim Donaldson – Offensive shortcomings shoot down Kris Dunn’s Player of Year hopes
- Friarbasketball.com – Craig Leighton – Here and There in Friartown
- Cox Hub – Daniel James – Fouled Out with Banners on the Parkway
- HoopSeen.com – Corey Evans – Makai Ashton-Langford speaks on top two and possible reclass
- Cox Hub – New England Recruiting Report – The Impact of Fans on Recruiting