PC has yet to officially offer Tarin Smith but he is one of the best available point guards left in the class of 2014 and comes out of a legendary program, St. Anthony of Jersey City. I’ve been vocal about PC locking this kid down considering the extreme lack of depth at the PG position for next year.
Despite not shooting very well in the first half PC managed to take a 35-31 lead into the break. Ladontae Henton had a huge day finishing with 23 points and 11 rebounds. Carson Desrosiers played really well down low including 5 blocks. And of course Bryce Cotton was Bryce Cotton with 25 points and 7 assists.
Final Score: PC 81 Xavier 72
Where: Dunkin’ Donuts Center – Providence, RI
How: Fox Sports 1/WEEI 103.7 FM
- PC has extended their Big East winning streak to 4 with their grind it out win over Butler at the Dunk on a blizzardy Tuesday night. This would be a huge win for the Friars to take with them on the road next week as they head to Milwaukee and then Chicago to take on Marquette and DePaul.
- This will mark the third game in a row that PC will take on a new member of the Big East.
- Kadeem Batts has been playing very well of late. Even when his shot isn’t falling early, he has shown the ability to get to the free throw line and is an impressive 29/35 (83%) over his last 4 games. He has also been a beast on the glass, averaging 9.5 rpg over that span, including a career best 17 rebound performance against Butler on Tuesday. Batts is playing much more aggressive than earlier in the year which is good to see but it has also led to some foul trouble of late.
- 8 of PC’s 19 games have been decided by 4 points or less this season. They are 5-3 in those games including a 2-2 record in the 4 games of the 8 that have gone into overtime.
- Cotton has scored 20 or more points in 35% of all games he has played at PC. He also currently leads the Big East in assists.
- Line opened at pick ’em in Vegas.
Keys to the Game
- Batts staying aggressive and taking it to Stainbrook early and often. PC makes their money with offensive rebounds and free throw shooting. Batts will be a key cog in both.
- Contain Semaj Christon. He is averaging 24 ppg over his last 5 games and is Xavier’s best player.
- Get meaningful minutes from Carson Desrosiers. His interior presence protecting the rim will be a big factor in keeping Christon out of the lane and Stainbrook off the glass.
Prediction: Xavier 69 Providence 71 (OT)
For a very well done preview from the Xavier POV:
- Friarbasketball.com – Battle of Big East’s Best Guards
- Cox Sports Online Interview – Kadeem Batts says PC has a game-plan ready for Xavier
- Kevin McNamara – PC legends Kevin Stacom, Joe Hassett and Tracy Lis will have their numbers retired Saturday
- Projo – Busy Saturday in RI college basketball
- AP – Scoring way up in whole Big East
- Friarbasketball.com – Kevin Stacom, The Missing Piece
- Josh Smith’s season at Georgetown is officially over because of academic issues. JTIII – “This is Georgetown, and we have a set of standards, and everyone has a responsibility above and beyond what goes on outside of those doors” (to their gym).
- Mark Divver – PC 5, UMass-Lowell 4: Late goals push hockey Friars past River Hawks
- 1/24/14 MIH vs. UMASS Lowel Highlights
- Ryan Fazekas – 2015 Commit – Stats don’t tell the whole story with Marquette’s Fazekas
Here is a live blog of tonight’s big game between the Riverhawks of UMass Lowell and the Friars. The game is sold out at Schneider Arena so if you don’t have tickets you can follow along on this live blog by Viewfrom123.com which also includes options to listen and watch online.
You can also view the game at
The line opened in Vegas as a pick ’em for the game tomorrow against Xavier.
|Xavier||13-4 ATS||3-0 ATS Away|
|Providence||9-8-1 ATS||6-4 ATS Home|
- Xavier 5-0 ATS in their last 5 games
- Xavier 10-1 SU in their last 11 games
- Xavier 5-0 ATS in their last 5 road games
- Providence 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games
- Providence 4-1 SU in their last 5 games
- Providence 5-1 SU in their last 6 home games
Updated Bracketology from ESPN’s Joe Lunardi has PC playing Southern Miss in the 12 seed play-in game in the East region. He also has them as one of the last four in.