|Marquette||Howard: 52||Hauser: 8||Elliot/Hauser: 4|
|Providence||Cartwright: 29||Diallo: 8||Young: 4|
|#0 Markus Howard|
|#30 Andrew Rowsey|
|#2 Sacar Anim|
|#10 Sam Hauser|
|#12 Matt Heldt|
|#24 Kyron Cartwright|
|#11 Alpha Diallo|
|#21 Jalen Lindsey|
|#44 Isaiah Jackson|
|#0 Nate Watson|
- Providence and Marquette met for the 25th ever on Wednesday in what was Providence’s Big East home opener after starting the league season 1-1 on the road. The injury/illness bug continued to ravage Providence, literally in this game. Rodney Bullock missed the game due to the flu. The game was back and forth in the first half with Providence going between good ball movement offense and their patented scoring droughts when their starters aren’t in the game. The story of the night was Markus Howard’s offensive explosion. He set a program record and tied a Big East with 52 points. Howard went 11/16 from beyond the arc.
- Providence was led by Kyron Cartwright with 29 points.
- Also in double figures for the Friars were Isaiah Jackson (19), Alpha Diallo (16) and Kalif Young (10).
- Marquette was led by Markus Howard with 52 points on 17/29 from the field, including 11/19 from 3-point range.
- Also in double figures for the Golden Eagles was Andrew Rowsey with 16 points.
- Providence falls to 10-6 on the season and their record in Big East play is now 1-2.
- The Friars welcome 5th-ranked Xavier to the Dunk on Saturday for an early 12pm tip.That game tips will air on FOX.
Follow me on Twitter @pcbb1917