Where: Dunkin’ Donuts Center – Providence, RI
When: 7:00pm EST
- Providence and Brown will meet for the 124th time on Wednesday. Providence leads the all-time series, 95-28. Brown is Providence’s second most frequent opponent in school history and one of five schools that the Friars have played more than 100 times.
- Providence is 131-49 all-time against teams from the Ivy League.
- Brown is 4-4 this season with a current 2-game losing streak, including an 86-62 loss at URI on November 28th. They were picked to finish 8th out of 8 teams in the Ivy League Preseason Poll. Brown is coached by Mike Martin who is in his 6th season at the helm. The Bears are led in scoring by sophomore Brandon Anderson who is averaging 19.6 points/game. They are led in rebounding by junior Travis Fuller who is averaging 6.1 rebounds/game.
- The Friars were defeated at URI, 75-68, in their last time out on Saturday at the Ryan Center in Kington. URI used a 15-0 first half run to take control of the game and they never looked back.
- Providence senior forward Rodney Bullock went over 1,000 points in his career against Boston College on November 25th. He became the 48th player in school history to score at least 1,000 points. Bullock is the 17th-fastest Providence player, tied with Eric Murdock, to score his 1,000th point (73 games). Bullock’s current place on the list is 45th with 1,034 points. He is tied with Derrick Brown.
- Providence senior guard Kyron Cartwright continues his drive up the all-time assist record list at Providence. He began the season tied for 12th with John Linehan (450). Cartwright has 53 assists through 8 games. He has 503 assists in his career, which places him 7th all-time at Providence. Next on the list in front of Cartwright is Ricky Tucker (520). Cartwright recorded his 500th career assist against URI on December 2nd. He is the 7th Providence player to record at least 500 career assists.
- Providence officially announced on November 29th that Emmitt Holt would miss the entire 2017-18 season as a redshirt while he continues to recover from abdominal surgery. Holt has been off campus recovering, but is expected to return to school in January.
- Opening Line: Providence -21 vs Brown 12/6/17
Providence and Brown will meet for the 124 time on Wednesday night at the Dunk. The Friars have beaten Brown (95 times) more than any other single team in school history. Providence is comning off a loss to in-state rival URI on Saturday at the Ryan Center the snapped a 7-game winning streak against the Rams. The Bears also lost at URI and they lost to future Providence opponent Stony Brook.
Listen to the Providence Friarcast where Brendan McGair, Chris Grenham and me preview this game:
The probable starters according to the game notes are:
- Kyron Cartwright – #24 – Senior
- Alpha Diallo – #11 – Sophomore
- Jalen Lindsey – #21 – Senior
- Rodney Bullock – #5 – Senior
- Kalif Young – #13 – Sophomore
- Brandon Anderson – #2 – Sophomore
- Zach Hunsaker – #20 – Sophomore
- Desmond Cambridge– #24 – Freshman
- Tamenang Choh – #25 – Freshman
- Travis Fuller – #1 – Junior
The keys to victory for Providence are to beat an inferior opponent. Too often the Friars have played down to the competition and with questions surrounding this team’s toughness and grit brought on by the head coach after the loss at URI a nice and easy thumping of the Brown Bears would be just what the doctor ordered for the Friars.
As for players to watch for Brown, keep an eye on leading scorer Brandon Anderson and freshman guard Desmond Cambridge. Both players like to run when possible. Anderson is the main ball handler in Brown’s pick and roll and Cambridge does his halfcourt damage as a shooter and cutter.
Prediction: Providence 87 Brown 65
Follow me on Twitter @pcbb1917