|Providence||Diallo: 17||Diallo: 7||Cartwright: 4|
|Rhode Island||Russell: 20||Robinson: 11||Dowtin/Garrett:4|
- Providence and Rhode Island met for the 128th time ever on Saturday. The game certainly had the feel of a rivalry game with both head coaches getting technical in the first half. Providence had an unreal 14 turnovers in the first 20 minutes, which led to 19 points for URI. In the second half it seemed like URI didn’t miss a key shot and their lead floated around 10 for much of the first 10 minutes until the Friars made a run to pull within 5. The final 10 minutes were much of the same seesaw play but Providence couldn’t get the necessary stops to come all the way back. This snaps Providence’s 7-game winning streak against the Rams.
- Providence was led by Alpha Diallo with 17 points and 7 rebounds. Diallo was the best player in a Providence uniform in this game.
- Nate Watson, Makai Ashton-Langford and Rodney Bullock also scored in double figures for the Friars.
- Kyron Cartwright didn’t play all that well finishing with 2 points and 4 assists. He did go over 500 career assists in this game. Cartwright becomes the 7th player in Providence history with 500 or more assists in a career.
- Rhode Island was led by Fatts Russell with 20 points. That ties a career high for Russell. Jarvis Garrett, Jared Terrell and Andre Berry scored in double figures for the Rams.
- Providence finished with 21 turnovers and the Friars were just 10/21 at the free throw line. Neither is a good statistic for a road win.
- Providence falls to 6-2 on the season.
- The Friars head head back north on 95 to play another Rhode Island school in their next game on Wednesday when Brown comes to the Dunk. The game tips at 7pm and will air on FS2.
Follow me on Twitter @pcbb1917