The 2017-18 Big East schedule was released on Tuesday and the Friars will open league play on the road for the third straight season. Each and every one of the 90 Big East league games will be on national television with at least 17 games will be played on FOX. Last year there were 12 games on FOX. The Big East also has a deal with CBS to televise games. At least 2 games will be on CBS while at least 18 contests will be shown on CBS Sports Network. That’s the same as last season with CBS and CBSSN.
Here is Providence’s 2017-18 Big East schedule:
|12/28||7:00 PM||St. John's||Carnesseca Arena||FSN|
|12/31||2:30 PM||(25) Creighton||CenturyLink Center||FS1|
|1/3||6:30 PM||Marquette (OT)||Dunkin’ Donuts Center||CBSSN|
|1/6||12:00 PM||(5) Xavier||Dunkin’ Donuts Center||FOX|
|1/12||8:30 PM||DePaul||Wintrust Arena||FS1|
|1/15||4:30 PM||Butler||Dunkin’ Donuts Center||FS1|
|1/20||3:00 PM||Creighton||Dunkin’ Donuts Center||CBSSN|
|1/23||6:30 PM||Villanova||Wells Fargo Center||FS1|
|1/31||7:00 PM||Seton Hall||Prudential Center||FS1|
|2/3||2:30 PM||Marquette||Bradley Center||FS1|
|2/6||8:30 PM||Georgetown||Dunkin’ Donuts Center||FS1|
|2/10||4:30 PM||DePaul||Dunkin’ Donuts Center||FSN|
|2/14||7:00 PM||Villanova||Dunkin’ Donuts Center||FS1|
|2/17||12:00 PM||Butler||Hinkle Fieldhouse||FOX|
|2/21||6:30 PM||Seton Hall||Dunkin’ Donuts Center||FS1/FSN|
|2/24||12:00 PM||Georgetown||Capital One Arena||CBSSN|
|2/28||6:30 PM||Xavier||Cintas Center||FS1|
|3/3||St. John's||Dunkin’ Donuts Center||TBA|
For the full 2017-18 schedule, click here.
First Impression and Random Thoughts
- Opening on the road for the third straight season has to annoy Ed Cooley a bit. It’s also not ideal to have two road games about as far away as any road games can be in the Big East with NYC and Omaha within 3 days.
- Both of Providence’s “bye weeks” are in January. The first one is a 6-day gap between the Friars’ January 6th game at home against Xavier and their January 12th game at DePaul. That is also during winter break, so there are no classes and lots of time to rest and also practice. The second one is between the January 23rd game at Villanova and the January 31st game at Seton Hall. I’m sure Cooley would have liked to have the extra time to prepare for Villanova, but Seton Hall is no slouch this season with Angel Delgado back for his senior year.
- The toughest stretch? A 5-game streak starting with Butler at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center on January 15th — part of the second annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Day marathon — and ending with Marquette at the Bradley Center on February 3rd. In between are Creighton at home and Villanova and Seton Hall on the road. Butler, Creighton, Villanova, Seton Hall and Marquette. The only top team missing is Xavier. The schedule gets a little more broken up in February with a Georgetown or DePaul mixed in between tough games.
- The easiest stretch? February 6th against Georgetown and February 10th against DePaul, both at home. There aren’t many breaks in the Big East, but having these two teams back-to-back at home is the “easiest” things appear for Providence in league play.
- There are four home games that take place when no classes are in session, but the third one is the day most students will return from winter break, so there are likely to be just three home games where the students won’t be on campus: January 3rd vs. Marquette, January 6th vs. Xavier and March 3rd vs. St. John’s. One additional note on students is that Providence’s Spring Break takes place from March 3rd through March 11th. That means Spring Break coincides with Big East Tournament week.
- Breakdown of Providence’s Big East games by day of the week:
- Monday: 1 (Martin Luther King, Jr. Day)
- Tuesday: 2
- Wednesday: 5
- Thursday: 1
- Friday: 1
- Saturday: 7
- Sunday: 1
- Breakdown of Providence’s Big East games by TV network:
- FS1: 10
- FS2: 0
- FSN: 2
- FOX: 2
- CBSSN: 3
- One game is still TBD
- My early prediction: 11-7
- at St. John’s – W
- at Creighton – W
- vs. Marquette – W
- vs. Xavier – L
- at DePaul – W
- vs. Butler – W
- vs. Creighton – W
- at Villanova – L
- at Seton Hall – L
- at Marquette – L
- vs, Georgetown – W
- vs. DePaul – W
- vs. Villanova – L
- at Butler – L
- vs. Seton Hall – W
- at Georgetown – W
- at Xavier – L
- vs. St. John’s – W
What are your thoughts on Providence’s Big East schedule? Predictions for the league record? Leave those in the comments below.
Follow me on Twitter @pcbb1917