|DePaul||Cyrus/Gage: 12||McCallum: 7||Garrett: 6|
|Providence||Cartwright/Holt: 14||Bullock/Diallo:||Cartwright: 6|
- Providence and DePaul squared off on Senior Night and Kris Dunn bobblehead night at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center. Perhaps it was the 8:45pm tipoff but the teams struggled to put together sustained offense in the first half. Providence and DePaul each made 10 field goals but the Friars turned the ball over 11 times while the Blue Demons coughed the rock up 13 times. The Friars did damage at the free throw line where they went 10/11 in the opening 20 minutes and they also made 4/11 from beyond the arc. DePaul made just 3 of their 6 free throws and were 0/4 from downtown. Providence took an 11-point lead into the break but the game certainly never felt in command with both teams going through multiple 3+ minute field goal droughts each in the first half.
- The offensive struggles continued into the second half for both teams. Rodney Bullock did get going for the Friars after the break and scored all X of his points in the second half after only playing 10 minutes in the first half due to foul trouble. Foul trouble was an issue for both teams all evening. DePaul’s leading scorer, Eli Cain, picked up his 4th foul with 10:33 left in the game. The Friars used an 8-0 run ahead of the under-8 media timeout to take an 18 point lead and Providence never looked back to win their fifth straight game.
- Kyron Cartwright scored 14 points on 4/8 from the field and the lefty was also 5/5 from the free throw line. He also added 6 assists.
- Jalen Lindsey notched 12 points with half of his points coming from his 7 trips to the free throw line. He also made two 3-pointers on the night and pulled down 3 rebounds.
- Bullock finished with 13 points — all in the second half — and 8 rebounds. Bullock’s 8 rebounds snaps a 3-game double-double streak.
- Isaiah Jackson had another strong game on the defensive end and continued to provide more offense than expected. He’s finished the game with 8 points, 2 rebounds and 2 steals.
- Emmitt Holt scored 10 of his 14 points in the second half. He also pulled down 4 rebounds before fouling out late in the game.
- Casey Woodring, the lone senior on Providence’s roster, was honored before this game on Senior Night. He also managed to get some action late in the game and logged 1 rebound and was 0/2 from beyond the arc and 0/3 for the game.
- DePaul was led by Brandon Cyrus and Devin Gage who each had 12 points for the Blue Demons. Billy Garrett, Jr had 11 points on 4/11 shooting and Cain was held to just 7 points on 3/8 from the field.
- Providence shot just 40% from the field, including 5/17 from beyond the 3-point line. They were 24/28 from the charity stripe and outrebounded DePaul, 38-28.
- DePaul shot 49% from the field despite being just 4/13 from beyond the arc. The Blue Demons were just 12/22 from the free throw line.
- The Blue Demons had 21 turnovers and Providence converted those into 21 points.
- Providence led for 3:43 of this game.
- Providence holds serve with Seton Hall to improve to 9-8 in Big East play. The Friars now jump back ahead of the Pirates into 4th place. Seton Hall drops down to 5th and things go back to where they were heading into the night. Marquette and Xavier will both be in action tomorrow night and their outcomes will help shape the Big East Tournament seeding situation. More on that Friday.
- The Friars finish off the regular season on Saturday at Madison Square Garden against St. John’s. Providence was defeated by the Red Storm on January 25th at home. The game tips March 4th at 12:00pm EST. The game will be televised on FS2.
Follow me on Twitter @pcbb1917