Where: Dunkin’ Donuts Center – Providence, RI
How: Fox Sports 1/WEEI 103.7 FM
- The Friars and Wildcats have met 90 times all time. PC is 37-53 in those 90 meetings.
- The first ever meeting was on February 15, 1926
- Bryce Cotton leads the nation in minutes per game with 39.5. He is averaging 41.5 mpg in Big East play and has played every second of the last 10 games except for about the last 40 seconds on Saturday against DePaul. The last time he came out of a game before Saturday was against Villanova on 1/5/14, a game in which he played 38 minutes.
- Bryce Cotton is 2nd in the Big East in scoring (21.2 ppg) and James Bell is 9th (16.1 ppg)
- Bryce Cotton is 1st in the Big East in assists (5.8 apg) and Ryan Arcidiacono is 10th (3.7 apg)
- Kadeem Batts is 4th (7.7 rpg) and LaDontae Henton is 5th (7.2 rpg) in the Big East in rebounds while James Bell is 10th (5.9 rpg)
- Line opened at PC +5
Note: Rankings reflect Conference Games Only
When Providence has the ball
|Efficiency||107.8 4||103.8 4||104.4|
|Avg. Poss Length||19.4 0||18.5 0||17.9|
|Effective FG%:||47.7 7||50.5 5||49.6|
|Turnover %:||18.0 6||18.8 3||18.5|
|Off. Reb. %:||36.1 1||27.4 1||31.6|
|FTA/FGA:||43.8 1||36.4 5||40.8|
|3P%:||34.2 5||39.1 8||34.5|
|2P%:||46.0 8||46.5 4||48.5|
|FT%:||76.7 1||76.6 9||69.8|
|Block%:||8.0 4||10.0 5||9.8|
|Steal%:||9.2 9||8.5 6||9.0|
When Villanova has the ball
|Efficiency||117.9 2||106.4 6||104.4|
|Avg. Poss Length||17.6 0||17.8 0||17.9|
|Effective FG%:||57.3 2||49.1 4||49.6|
|Turnover %:||16.9 4||14.8 8||18.5|
|Off. Reb. %:||30.1 5||29.1 4||31.6|
|FTA/FGA:||42.0 3||37.4 6||40.8|
|3P%:||40.3 2||30.9 1||34.5|
|2P%:||54.8 2||50.1 7||48.5|
|FT%:||75.3 3||73.2 7||69.8|
|Block%:||5.6 1||13.1 2||9.8|
|Steal%:||8.1 4||7.7 7||9.0|
After getting back on the winning side of things on Saturday against a depleted DePaul team, PC will look to get a gigantic NCAA Tournament resume boosting win tonight against the Wildcats of Villanova. Villanova is coming off a second beatdown of the season at the hands of Creighton and Doug McDermott (31 ppg in the 2 games). I was trying to think what the better outcome would be for PC’s chances of an upset. I was leaning towards having Nova win and travel to Providence for a letdown game but those are really just mind games a lot of fans play to rationalize things for themselves. These kids will be ready to play. The Friars have been good at home this season and they will need to come out playing well early to keep this game in their grasp.
In order for the Friars to win this game they will need to shoot the ball well, get 2nd chance points on offensive rebounds and control the tempo. It would be best for this game to be played in the 60’s for the Friars. If PC can get this one, they will be in even better shape (Lunardi has them as an 11 seed) for their first trip to the NCAA’s in 10 years.
But as always, just go 1-0 today.
Prediction: Villanova 67 Providence 69