- In case you missed it on Wednesday – #pcbb interviewed 2014 PG recruit Austin Tilghman. Click here to read that story.
- 2014 PG recruit Tarin Smith and the St. Anthony Friars won a close game earlier this week as they traveled to Long Island Lutheran who features 2016 PG Devonte Green. Green, the St. Mary’s transfer, had 22 points in the loss. Green is the younger brother of former UNC player and current NBA player, Danny Green. Tarin Smith led St. Anthony in scoring with 14 points and was the only Friar in double figures.
- Paschal Chukwu and the Fairfield Prep Stags remained undefeated (17-0) after winning at Xavier on Tuesday night. Chuwku poured in 20 points in the win with 14 of his points coming on dunks. Xavier’s head coach had this to say of Chukwu:
“Chukwu passes very well for a big guy,” said Kohs.”You have to pick your poison with them. If you try and defend the big kid, he passes back out and they rain threes on you.”
- Adam Zagoria, who first reported that JaQuan Lyle would visit Providence in March, is also now reporting that Lyle will take an official visit to Kansas on February 24th, his 18th birthday. At this point, if Lyle makes it to Providence in March, I think the Friars have a very good shot of landing him despite the fact that PC may not be his last visit since he plans of visiting Oklahoma State too with no date determined at this point. While he has connections to Kansas since he is bro’s with Cliff Alexander, there’s little doubt that of the school’s he is still considering (Kansas, Oklahoma State, Oregon, UConn, Memphis and Providence) PC has the most available playing time at both guard positions next season with only Kris Dunn, Josh Fortune and Junior Lomomba on the roster for 2014-2015 at this moment. I have a feeling this recruitment will involve some more drama as he gets closer to making a decision.
Click the link below for a video of ESPN recruiting expert, Reggie Rankin, discussing why Providence is the best fit for Lyle (skip to the 2:12 mark for the Lyle discussion):
- Rumors continue to abound that Brewster Academy PG Devonte Graham (2014) will ultimately get his release from App State. The only question remaining, it seems, is when it will happen. Will App State do it in April/May or will the coaching staff get fired? App State is having a rough season so rumors of Jason Capel’s staff being canned don’t appear very far fetched. Then the focus will shift quickly to where Graham will end up. Providence has been showing consistent, strong interest and will likely be right there at the end when Graham ultimately makes his decision but a lot can happen between now and then.
- In the latest episode of Friars All-Access, Adam Finkelstein “points out that Cooley’s relentless approach to recruiting has really been noticed, and that Providence is considered a team on the rise. Cooley has been recruiting at an extremely high level since his arrival, but has basically been fairly unlucky, as we all know, once the deal has been sealed.”